Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Touch-me-Not

Wonder what brings out in a person when touched unexpectedly?

Going back to my bus rides again…

Other day I was in childish mood and on crowded bus when I did not show consideration or common sense to slide toward window and would not budge from my seat. When a middle age lady requests I sqeeze myself in a ball so she can go past me and I hold on to my isle seat. No sooner she set in her place, she did nummun to me and ending the gesture with hand on her heart. Why? I don’t have any blessing to offer and I could be younger than you. I never noticed her brushing me. May be she thought she disturbed the aura of Gruhini from Bhadra-samaj by feather touch of her saree! That’s so polite from a so called illiterate but being aware and considerate to space occupied by other than her own body.

But there is touch and there is TOUCH.

Another day I was again on the bus in front seat accompanied by a young girl with some study books in her lap and reading her stuff. Suddenly, she gets up, turns around (entire bus is her auditorium now) and demontrates her ‘public speaking’ skill with leadership skills that makes Bill Clinton looks like a singer. What happened? did I do something? OH ok, Now I understand the boy occupying the seat exactly behind her probably was travelling for the first time in city bus and afraid of falling over, holding on to seat in front so strategically as if on roller coaster ride!!! Not appreciated by young girl, got very public objection. Driver and rest of the bus who could now see the girls face, conductor no one said anything or even noticed for that matter. I was hoping few ladies will turn up to her help if she was distressed by ‘abuse’ and needed few helpline numbers or social workers holding the guy for social disorder act. But No. No need for prolonging.

‘Its your problem you sort out’ And its sorted there and then and very effectively. And the journey continued without anyone ending the ride due to embarrassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment