Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Attakkalari

As I open the full spread whats on guide for the weekend, I am overwhelmed!

Bangalore this weekend surpassed London in the variety of 'whats ON' around the town.

Trully a global performances with Indian platform or twist. Wow I must not miss this chance.

First visit, for Amdavadi born is Alliance Francaise. Entry is free and there are 4 performances.

1. called 'Dont be dotty', played by 2 girls on mundane activities of everyday life based on concept of round/sphere/circle. Both performed dressed half in Bharat natyum accessory with swimming costumes.

2. called 'Couching tigers'. OH I thought it must have something to do with 'save the tigers'. No no its all about 3 junkie boys fighting for remote control. these hunky, portrayed as junky youth performed some really clever acts of street dance/ rythemic wrestling.

3. called 'In the stillness, find me'. It can only be described as visual poetry. with backdrop of only winter tree stumps with merging lines of his body in balck leotard. Dancer from singapore had only word to join this sureal music from TS Eliot and words from bhagavat Geeta to symbolize nothingness.

4. Called 'Ravens'. Performed by shrilankan artists. As they announce names I feel 'Haash! at least 16 dancers will perform feast for my eyes, if I dont like 1 I can look at other. But whats this only 8 on stage? Oh yes, now I know Shrilankans have long names and each name is combination of 2 words, so misleading, naa? Anyaway, 8 for gandfanalie is good enough for me.They dance on life of crow. can you believe 30 minute dancing on percieved bad balckbird? Amazing choreography.

Infact choregraphers were from all over the place, trained in one place, career in other and working on creative project in third/fourth country!! trully, internation performances by floating artists. But these open ended brief and such totally creative is hard for someone who has missed changing art scene of India and I suggest you keep 4 of your people in audience and they start clapping so newcomers like me know that the ACT has ended and we clapp too!!

Second visit, another day..behind the golfcousre. Entire street 1.5 km. covered by mature trees and allowing glorious sunshine to pavement covered with artists from all over. It can be matched if not put above that paris' painter's plazaa for sure. For the first time I saw only Indian absolutely subjects/objects rather than copycat of renesance artform. It had everyday ppl displaying their works staring from folk arts of India to some 3d form to fusion techniques. Once one of my artist friend told me to visit gallaries and observe the styles of valued artists of the day. and look for the same style by upcoming or unknown artists and buy same style. thatway when value of that style goes up, value of art you own goes up too, even though its not massively expensive (3 to 4 lakh costs basuki). But I am only enjoying the atmosphere and seeing wonerful collection. vishwmitra 'handling' menaka' would cost me by ammeture artist 50000 ruppess and 'hanumanji reaching for the moon' costs 20000 in very modern style to suit contemporary decor. Hampi is favourite for artists and in every medium, style and form you find hampi's ruins. My favourite? endless strais of rock planks from hampi. very abstract in water colour. but I give a miss. dont feel like leaving signature on everything I own, dont feel like having ownership of anything. dont even feel like 'oh i can produce this myself, let me go home and do it'. I think the class of nothingness has affected me a bit more for my liking....

Place was covered with middle India, discussing pieces they saw, families appeared to be from authentic Bangalore like Mallweswarum and Jaynagar. so many foreigners and ofocurse groups of youth everywhere.

festival continues for many different art form and many venues across bangalore....including yogic singer Jasraj in coming days and screening of european movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment