Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Pondi-Puduchery



As my promsing travel companion wakes up on sunday I have proposal ready, 'Fancy some french delicacies today?' People have hard time disassociating with french connection and say 'NO' to backery! (like he says in Movie the GodFather, put a offer that they cant refuse!)

So we start for Pondicherry. As kid I saw my father had admiration for Sri Arbindo and I recognised the face of that seer in his old age. (Kaka, why you never told me this Arbindo was cambridge student, poet, writer, painter, advisor in princely state of Baroda, Freedom activist and one who translated works of kavi kalidas? Most importantly had I known he was fit, smart and handsome young man with aura, I would have taken trouble to read the literature you brought at tender age of 10)

That says lot about our Bong-Bondhu. They are different race altogether, Ravindranath, bipin chandra, vivekanand, vidyasagar and many more were multi multi talented. And also it defeats the claim by brain scientist about right and left brian and being able to master either this or that!

So we arrive in 'zis' Asharam campus. Now Arvind had spiritual companion known as Mother. She said I will bring my french architecture (O Be my guest), To match it properly we will name the streets in french RUE too (thats fine by us too). I will bring backing dishes ( we have sweet tooth anyway), I will bring the bicycle for ladies to ride across 'zis' cute ashram township (thats great too, we Indians like them anyway as patrol has been always expensive here). Even canal runs in middle just like Rhine.


So Arvind, lived in ManCHEster (really? me too), he lived in London near sheferds Bush ( Dont believe this, Me too), He lived in Aberdeen ( yes, me stayed there too), 3 brothers studies at manchester grammer school for Boys ( Is that right? I drove passed this school 4 times in a day every day). See, Yesterday I hardly knew Arvind and today I have great affiinity for him. He too got cricling the round-abouts of Britain. Came to India and experimented with spirituality ( me too!! fascinating), I must be his 'follower' in very sense of the word!

This place has a very different charm and grace for sure.

We first end our journey on promenade and sit on those big black shiny cubes of rocks. Once again, without plunging to be able to enjoy the sea is what Indians have taught me. People come single or in groups, all ages and sit without any huf and puf and gaze in the distance. I had to sit and close my eyes for 7 minutes. At that time, the sky changes its look every second and when you open your eyes after closing for few minutes at dusk, everything looks transformed. I feel completely enveloped by ocean with his sound and waves and rumbling waters. Without a splash we feel refreshed.

We visit the samadhi and on sunday evening there is mass meditation in playground, so we go for it. people in masses gather and sit on sandy playground. All the lights are switched off and you see open stary / moon lit sky. Organ plays there is short speech by mother. Todays topic: Stay away from any type of politics, its a waste. ( whats new there? My mother always told me this!!) And then 20 minutes of meditation. They keep empty chair for mother in backdrop of akhand bharat map. School kids also possess something special about them.

For staying there are plenty of guest house ranging from 150-600 ruppees. We chose one facing the sea. East facing open gallary on bay of bangal. I am waiting for sunrise now! rooms have focal point from works of sri arbindo. The garden between the building and the sea is also decorated on theme from his work, to suit meditation poins, some architectual work, or gardening craftmanship or collection of natural beautyful objects. Canteen served basic and tasty food with literature. I absolutely loved my guest house.

Next day, we visit Auroville. My guide/ friend insisted I must visit Matri Mandir in auroville. It needs advance booking to spend few minutes inside but friends who have gone places for meditation say that its the best place. dom covered with gold discs reflects heat and inside in complete marble. only one ray enters from the top passes through massive crystal and enrgizes the entire medtation space. I had to let go of this chance. Incompleteness is good, it makes you want to go back again. I get some red-chanothi ornament from eco-friendly auroville and on way we pick up some really good lemon cake. I collect some patented agarbatti from auroshikha.

At least four hours we travel cross country after leaving the motorway. For 2.5 hours the roadsides are covered with Mango trees. On way back we stopped to tresspass in some of very inviting grooves and collected some. Travelling on road is really a treat to eyes, laari full of jasmin buds, truck after truck continuosly carrying sugarcane, taadee. heaps of grapes, heaps of mangos, coconut. In and around Ashram 3 laari full of lotuses. Neighbouring Vinayak temple they were insisting we get offering from them. one fully bloomed white and one pink with coconut will cost 25 ruppees. I let go of temptation to own this divine flower.

more later...

No comments:

Post a Comment