Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bang on Art

Hi everyone! It has been long since I Walked And talked to myself. Vacation times for us mothers are the busiest and exciting but filled with erratic routine. How are you all? We have not felt being drifted away from everything that was familiar a year ago after reconnecting with some well wisher friends from Manchester. Feels good. There are other good reasons to feel good too. Check out this site below and open 9 aug, timesof india bangalore edition and page 5 from top bar. You may see someone familiar. I know I am a week late in writing this.



What else? Well, pushed by an art_lover friend I stumbled in to an art gallary. Art scene in Bangalore is very active. There are regular exhibitions. And one thing is sure that I cant grab a frame from these galalries as I grab sarees from stores. I am not a big spender on jewellary (so good for Keyur) but even that would look smaller compare to some of the artworks. Let quickly describe 3 different styles we saw… One artist prefers to use torn national geographics and its juxtapositioning to create art from even mythical stories yet most contemporary , at times comic look on canvas. Otherone creates on canvas but with cutout cans, again concept are firmly based on ancient heritage. Some others were based on playing with textures of various kind. There are many such galleries to visit on regular basis but for now first and one visit has put me in a mood to pick up a paint brush again.

Searching for the ‘stuff’, I ended up on PET markets of bangalore. Chickpet, sultanpet, mamalpaet… each with range of products in one category. Most facinating was stationary market and the difference in prices and range of paper products. If I ever thought Chester has unique 2 tier market then this one is multi-tier place. Some garments are hanging from theird floor tatty looking balcony as display to show the stuff available in twist-tiny gullies where looking up towards to overly shining blue sky and croocked steps taking you up there is like an expedition.

Back to art and its performing art. Saw a play called ‘six degrees of seperation’ at local play-house called rangsankara. Talk about the play later… Wow, look at the audience and their style. I would love to identify myself with them most in handloom, khadi, silk variety with modern edge to it. They all appear to be class apart, elit members of society it seemed , the kind you wont find in typical bollywoody entertainment. Play was in English and performed by all Indian stage artists. Back drop was american as it is original american play brought and reproduced by Indian drama company. but roles of black africans and blond europians were played by us without looking like them, powerful script worked. It was satirical in parts and enjoyable. It is bit like ‘catch me if u can’. Most touching reading I found is the lady in central character ends up finding that conman has more in common with her than her own kids!! Now my life in one way entering higher gear by addition of television in the house after arrival of Keyur, need to sort out the vehicle now. On other hand in lower gear as I am busy more around the house.

Independence day and Janmashtmi celebrated back to back.’ Festiviti toh koi humse sikhe!!’ We Indian never tire ourselves from celebration of some kind. Few days back ‘saw’ celebration of var lukshmivratha. Bangalore was covered with flowers and some ladies decorated with flowers worth rps 4000 at home!! In bangalore fruits, flowers ans vegetables are sold side by side in equal proprtion. I was invited by at one place and I too enjoyed the variety they prepare on that day only my host stayed hungry before puja and prasad!! Indepenendce day was wonderful. There is new found patriotism and awareness in youth and society for their Indianness. Malls, restaurants everywhere tricolour or while and bharee sarees we saw.

Rangsankra, wait I am coming back for high end performing art in between let me go to ‘Kaminey’ but full house back to back shows so will have to wait for few days I guess. Next time on frugal India…Wishing you all best for school year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment