Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

states of art

I was just wondering, like Americans, if we give pet names to all our states and put it on car plates, how would that be?
I don’t have wide experience in depth of all our states but …

Gujarat can be called a ‘dairy state’ from my little experience. Not only NDDB National Dairy Development Board is pride and joy but I have seen their office ( Gujarat dairy board) in Bangalur prime area. It is not just for namesake as Amul yogurt is equivalent of biopot onken, Amul ghee is nice and crumbly and ofcourse milk. Anyone familiar with Geer forest and their kathiawari ‘dudh-makkhun-malai-chhas’ would not be surprised, to understand this sorathee culture there are plenty folklores, same way south Gujarat’s green belt is rich ‘dairy white’. Although I tried other brands like britania, nilgiris, nestle and they all are good but nothing lubricates my taste buds as Amul.

I have already written so much on Bangalur my adopted homeland that its no news that I would call Karnataka a ‘flower state’. Some of the most exotic flowers you would find here. Flori culture is blooming industry here. Nurseries are everywhere too. Statues of idols are adorned with BigMac size gajras not one but dozen around the statue, most taxi drivers and rickshawala having this sweat and heat smell remover in their vehicles and last but not least so many aam-aurat perfume themselves by fresh flowers everyday. It must be given befitting name to suggest beauty, fragrance and colours of the flowers.

Although Kerala promotes themselves as ’ land of Gods’, I could call it ‘garam masala state’ or ‘spice state’ with land so rich and fertile from where we get cardamom to black pepper. Rajasthan could be called ‘state of riots of color’ or ‘rajvee state’ (already righly called raja’s sthaan) . And what about maha rashtra? I really like mumbaikers patriotism but to call a state ‘great nation’ is over kill isn’t it? Sorry bala sahib, don’t mean to upset you and I have many very dear Marathi friends. And like orange county we could also call our provinces kesar county geernar, hafuz county ratnagiri, sugar county Kolhapur and so on.

I like even native American names with nature names such as turtle creek, and silver mountain and whateva.. but we are very versatile in that respect not just nature we can source names from nakshatra, rashee, rishi, upnishad, scriptures, mythology, animals (land of lion ), spices, festivity (garba county gujarat), languages, we can surpass them in any field.

Now I need sponsors to send me across one by one to each state so I can give pet names to each of our distinct state after travelling!! Talking about states on Talent show on the day of carnival in our apartment 2 tiny kids came to front and one kid mentioned name of the state and other one gave name of the capital. In fact they were so small I could not comprehend their words. Oops!! I did not mean to reveal that I did not know all the capitals!!
What would you call your state?

1 comment: