Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

Immersing Art

Otherday, I was watching this roadside artists doing last minute touch up for Durga Puja. I felt these artists deserve more recognition. They do beautiful job and devote themselves to their artistry. They even look as scruffy as posh and celebrated artists! They just completed their deadline for Ganesh Chaturthi. These communities spend their entire time making amazing statues in all different size and shape and postures. But what is even bigger than their art is their willingness to allow their art, their hard work of good six months to be dissolved in water. I wonder what would I do if I was part of their team? I am sure I would cover my creation in water proof mould and request my client to do puja and after symbolic submerge return my sculpture back to me for safe keeping on my top shelf as I loved That unique posture I created! Also is it not so amusing that each piece is unique as compare to standardized plastic moulded Santa we get in Tesco allowing many mouths to earn honorable living and keeping the art form organic and alive?

On the subject of allowing Ganeshji and Durgaji to take a plunge in the water, Indians are increasingly aware of creating environmentally/universally friendly Gods. In our society there is internet group for all occupants and they remind everyone on all these issues too along with other notices!

I am glad this ritual allows yet again another cycle of creating these statues, bringing a year long living for their families again. So in that respect maybe they are not selfless workers and also good businessmen to have settled for consumable items after all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment